Richard's Poor Almanac by Richard Thompson for July 04, 2016
Richard's Poor Almanac Our Fireworks Heritage By Richard Thompson In 1776, the first roadside fireworks stand, Patriotic Illumination opens and South Carolina. It is later sold to South of the Border & renamed Pedro's Beeg Kaboom Room. In 1826, former Presidents John Adams and Thomas Jefferson are involved in a July 4th mishap. Huge cover up ensues. In 1889 the national July 4th celebration debuts on the mall. It is extremely low-key affair viewed by a group of invitation-only VIPs. The Park service angry about having to scrub out the black stains left on the sidewalk by those snakes later puts the official crowd count at 12.